Monday, July 18, 2011

Why do we continue to ignore children with cancer

It's been a long time since I have written. Many times during a journey such as this one needs to take a step back. My heart aches every day when I hear of a child being newly diagnosed with a brain tumor and /or any cancer for that matter. Worst yet when a child passes.

Since I began this journey with Aimee, I can't understand why so many not thrown into this circle continue to look the other way and ignore the fact that children get cancer too. In most cases they do not have the same survival rate as most adult cancers do, but still many feel that the numbers are far to low to warrant much research. Over the years, I have seen bills passed funding approved and yet no money allocated. Now they are wanting to cut much of the funding that was approved even more. How is that fair to our children, our future.

I have also noticed over the last few months recent surges in several areas, where many children are being DX with one form of cancer or another, mostly brain tumors from what I have seen. Yet, when one raises questions as to why the surge, your told "it just happens" and there is nothing that can be done, as for testing. In there eyes 5-10 DX with cancer in one area is no big deal. Numbers aren't high enough. To me a parent the numbers are far to high. One child getting cancer is one child to many.

I have also seen the demand for change where bulling is concerned. Between the adds on TV, Radio, Internet. However, yes that needs attention as well and should be addressed.What many may not realize is the fact that most children with cancer also have many debilitating effects that make them different from their peers. I know my daughter hit many hurdles when she returned to school and was called many names. The best part was most of the name calling came from adults. Not the children. Wanting her removed from school, because they didn't want their child around a freak, or because she would give everyone at school her disease.   Freak, catching her disease, really are you serious. Although, the name calling didn't seem to bother Aimee, as much as it did me. The ignorance of the parents really blew my mind. As it still does today when I see people doing everything they can to avoid not only the child but also the family. Why is it, come September, childhood cancer awareness month, you won't see much anywhere about childhood cancer. Why is it, children with cancer do not get the same respect as others.

I was wearing a shirt one day with my daughters photo on it, that said I'm wearing Gold for my hero. I had one women comment to me that breast cancer is the most important cancer there is. Even more funding should go to breast cancer, so more women would survive If it wasn't for all the funding and attention breast cancer gets she may not be here to watch her Grand-Children grow. My daughter died, so you could be alive today, she will never have the chance to give me grand-children. You go home, and tell your grand-children that your life is more important then theirs. She left in a huff, I guess the truth hurts.

I have been blessed recently however, many more that are learning of Aimee's journey as well as many others, are now becoming aware, and want to make a difference for all the children of the future, many of which are breast cancer survivors, whom were not aware of the fact that childhood cancer doesn't get the same attention as they do. That our future is quickly disappearing, at a rate many are not aware of. Considering, most funding for proper tracking purposes of childhood cancer have been removed, and those doing the tracking do not have what is need to processes the data correctly, and in most cases are many years behind. Therefore, statistic are not as up to date as they should be, not just for childhood cancer, that's for all diseases.

I hope and pray that one day, we will have answers and a cure for all cancer, as well as all disease. People need to put their greed aside, and put more value on human life, then what goes into ones pocket.

No comments: